Sports and Health: Its Importance and Benefits
Sport provides many benefits for health and quality of life, not only physically. It also helps you forget worries.
Regular exercise helps prevent the serious health problems associated with being overweight or obese.
Why is physical exercise so important?
It brings many benefits:
- It burns calories instead of storing them as fat in the body. Helps maintain a healthy weight and reduces the risk of being overweight or obese.
- Keeps blood sugar levels more balanced, within normal limits. This is even more important for those who have diabetes or are at risk for it.
- Lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Strengthens bones and muscles, and increases strength and endurance.
- Relieves stress and improves sleep and mental health. Helps fight possible anxiety or depression attacks.
- Increase self-esteem. It gives security regarding the body and its appearance.
- Raises the ability to concentrate and school performance.
- It is socializing, favors companionship and reduces aggressiveness.
Why is it important to limit screen time?
Screen time refers to surfing the internet, watching television or DVD, or playing video games. These activities are usually performed sitting or standing still. Well, the total time in front of the screen should not be more than 1 or 2 hours a day.
We must avoid putting televisions in the rooms. On average, young people with television in their bedroom watch it an hour and a half more a day than those without it.
What can parents do to keep their child active?
You should be a healthy role model for your child. Workout. Be physically active in your daily life. Plan active family outings.
Help your child find the activity he likes. With a little trial and error, you can find an appropriate physical activity.
Keep in mind that family plays a great role in stimulating adolescents. From the age of 12, the school workload increases and physical activity takes a back seat.
And what sports are the most recommended?
The ones you like the most.
The important thing is that you are constant. That you impose on yourself a few days and hours to do it (3-4 times a week).
If you have not practiced sports for a long time, the first days will be the hardest, but little by little you will feel better and more and more happy to see how your physical condition improves.
Whatever sport it is, and to avoid injury, always warm up.
Are there situations in which sports are not recommended?
Sport is always recommended.
The best thing is not to go overboard. Avoid exhaustion. If you exhaust yourself, your body will lose strength and you will stop exercising.
If you have any chronic disease or previous injury (asthma, heart, kidneys, etc.), we advise you to consult your pediatrician or doctor. She will tell you about which sports are most recommended for you.
Sports and Health: 4 precautions that you must remember:
- Start exercising in a moderate way, to increase the intensity.
- Take care of hydration before, during and after exercise.
- Don’t do sports that require a lot of physical strength.
- Talk to your doctor if you see any physical problems or difficulties.